|Saturday, 21-Jan-2006 00:00
APPLE BUNS AND MY OTHER INTEREST!
Was thinking of doing some apple buns, but then, I wasn't feeling too well, so I'd better leave it till next time. But I have done this Apple buns before and it turned out really nice. I got the recipe from a book that my sister bought from me. The World of Bread (Aneka Roti Dunia) by Mr Alex Goh. This book is in two languages, English and Bahasa Malaysia. I've tried quite a number of recipes from this book and so far, all came out nice. Taste wise and also the presentation. I am glad my sister gave me this book.
I'd like to share with you the apple bun recipe along with the step by step how to shape them because Mr Alex Goh didn't give the step by step photo in his book. Hope this helps....
Basic Sweet Bun Dough
480g bread flour
120g plain flour
20g milk powder
4 teaspoons instant yeast
300ml cold water
1. Mix (A) till well blended
2. Add (B) and knead to form a dough
3. Add (C), continue to knead to form a smooth and elastic dough.
4. Cover dough with clear film. Let it prove for 50 - 60 minutes, or till it doubles its size.
5. Use finger and press into the dough. It should show a clear finger tip mark, but the dough should not sink. Now it's ready to use.
400g green apples (Granny Smith), cut into cubes/thin slices
1/8 teaspoon salt
110 ml water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
To prepare the filling :
1. Cook (A) till boiling.
2. Add the premixed (B) and continue to cook till mixture thickens.
3. Remove from the heat and add (C). Mix till well blended and leave to cool.
Step by step how to shape the apple bun
(M1) Divide the basic sweet bun dough into 70g portions. Mould into balls and put them in the fridge to rest for 15 minutes.
(M2) Roll the dough out flat to make rectangles (L 14cm x W 12cm). Place some of the filling at one end and cut strips at the other end with a sharp knife. Roll them up from the filling end.
(M3) Put them on the baking tray and leave to prove in a warm place for 45 minutes or till double the size.
(M4) Brush with egg wash. Bake at 190 C for 12 - 15 minutes in the middle rack.
- I've made this Apple Bun twice. The first one, I used white sugar for the filling. The second time, I used brown sugar. The one with brown sugar looks more tempting...taste wise, not much difference!
- Step (M4) I didn't brush with egg white. I don't like to brush my breads with egg white before baking. What i normally do is, just bake the breads like they are and soon as they come out from the oven, just brush with butter/margarine to give a shiny look.
- This bun stays soft even after three days!
Besides baking, I love to do cross stitch. I've started cross stitching about 20 years ago. During this period, I've done a lot of projects, big and small. But most of my big projects are framed and hanged at my parents house. I do cross stitch to give friends and families as gifts. Some, I made into cards and others as samplers. Here are a few of my finished cross stitch projects.
Words to inspire you....
Let us be grateful to people who make us happy - they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom ~ Marcel Proust
1. aniszcenna>> Aniszcenna, the pleasure is always mine and thank you buat kunjungan balas!
2. fizan yusop>> Salam Fizan mama sambut mesra. Tujuan letak resipi di sini pun agar kita semua dapat mencubanya. All the best ye. Tapi kalau Fizan baru first time buat roti, cubalah setengah adunan dulu ye....and oh...terima kasih sudi berkunjung ke mari....
3. fizan yusop>> Alhamdulillah Apple Buns Fizan dah menjadi dan anak-anak pun suka. Gembira mama mendengarnya. Tak kiralah cantik ke tak, yang penting sedap! Nanti boleh lah cuba yang lain pulak yek.....thanks for letting me know ya....
4. Penyulawa>> Penyulawa...mama lagi nak jimat telur ler...tu sebab mama prefer sapu majerin elok keluar dari oven. Lagi satu, mama tak berapa suka kalau kaler dia terlalu brown on top...banyaklah songel mama ni eh Nim, cowey!!! Anyway, thanks for sharing the tips ya...
5. ummiauni>> Terima kasih banyak-banyak kerana sudi cuba resipi ni. Resipi ni pun memang mama punya favourite! Happy kan, bila apa yang kita buat digemari oleh suami dan anak-anak....
6. carmen>> Thanks Carmen.... :->